March 17, 2009

Becoming a Master Marketer - What's Love Got To Do With It? –Collette Larsen

I was recently asked by the editors of "Networking Times" to write an article for their magazine about love and whether or not love is a factor in building a network marketing business. Well, I’ve written and submitted my article…but you’re getting it first. I believe it sheds some light on the type of people our industry attracts.

What’s Love Got To Do With It?

Everything. But all the passionate arguments I could render could not illustrate the love that is so abundant in our industry better than sharing a brief story.

Each year my company rewards its top distributors by sending us to a magical location for a few days of pampering, celebration and total relaxation. In late November 2000, our destination was the Grand Wailea on the island of Maui. This happens to be among my favorite havens in the entire world and I was eagerly anticipating a few days with some of my dearest friends – the Diamond Directors in USANA.

Shortly after arriving I called home in San Diego to check on my daughter. Sharlie was twenty-one but in spite of the fact that she is very much an adult, I worry about her. Sharlie was born with Cystic Fibrosis and battles this disease with every single breath she takes. She has rallied back from the brink of death numerous times in her young life and is currently on the double-lung transplant list.

A chilling, breathless message awaited me as my answering machine clicked on.

“Mom, if this is you…I’m in trouble. Something happened. I can’t breathe. They’re taking me to the hospital.”

I was so shaken I couldn’t function. I knew I had to get home as soon as possible but I was too emotional to know how to make that happen. My USANA family rescued me. They calmed me, helped me repack, changed my flight schedules, transported me to the airport and stayed by my side until I boarded the plane.

I arrived at my daughter’s bedside early the next morning. She was still sleeping and didn’t realize I had come back home. When Sharlie opened her eyes, I placed a fragrant lei (my arrival gift from the Grand Wailea) around her neck and said,

“Sorry I wasn’t here for you yesterday, honey. I had to run to Hawaii to pick up this beautiful lei for you.” As weak as Shar was, she smiled and gave me a tender hug.

The love of these special individuals carried me through a difficult time, but let me share the rest of the story as it has been told to me.

The morning after I left the island of Maui all the Diamond Directors and management team got together for breakfast. Prior to starting their activities for the day, they gathered in a circle to pray for my daughter and me. Then they took up a collection so they could purchase something meaningful for Sharlie.

Within days a stunning bouquet was delivered to Sharlie’s hospital room followed by an heirloom holiday quilt that warmed her heart as much as her body during those long days leading up to Christmas. She received beautiful cards, letters and gifts from each of these dear friends and they have continued to be her “adoptive” parents over the years.

I’ve always known our industry attracts people who want to make a difference – people who are of “one mind.” However, I’ve been privileged to learn through personal experience an even more important truth. We attract people who are of “one heart.”

Have a wonderful (love-filled!) day.

Collette Larsen
USANA Top Income Earners

No comments:

Post a Comment